Glaucoma is a group of serious eye conditions that affect the optic nerve. Glaucoma can cause permanent vision loss if not detected early. At Eye Care Associates in Optometry, Lawrence S. Forgacs, O.D.F.A.A.O., we provide detection and treatment for glaucoma. Serving New York City and Midtown, NY, our eye doctor will perform a comprehensive eye exam to look for glaucoma. Here are some early warning signs of the condition.
Early Warning Signs of Glaucoma
There are different types of glaucoma, including open-angle glaucoma and angle-closure glaucoma. Depending on how advanced the condition is or the kind you have, your symptoms can vary. There are virtually no symptoms of open-angle glaucoma, which is why regular exams with our eye doctor are imperative.
- Blind spots: It's not uncommon to have blind spots in your central or peripheral vision if you are developing glaucoma.
- Redness and irritation
- Severe eye pain and headaches: These symptoms are almost always associated with angle-closure glaucoma.
- Halos around lights: This causes blurry rings around light sources.
- Vomiting and Nausea
- Loss of peripheral vision
If you have any of these symptoms, it's critical to schedule an exam with our eye doctor immediately. Our optometry team can provide ways to manage your glaucoma. Although it's not a curable disease, glaucoma can be managed with medications, eye drops, laser treatment, and surgery.
Risk Factors for Glaucoma
Those who have more susceptibility to glaucoma include the following groups:
- Those over the age of 40
- Those who have a family history of the disease
- African Americans or Hispanics
- Elevated eye pressure
- Current health conditions, like high blood pressure, diabetes, or migraines
- A previous eye injury or surgery
Schedule an Appointment with Our Midtown Eye Doctor for Glaucoma Testing
If you are experiencing symptoms of glaucoma, don't wait to schedule an appointment with our optometry team. Early detection is vital when it comes to slowing the progression of glaucoma. At Eye Care Associates in Optometry, Lawrence S. Forgacs, O.D.F.A.A.O., serving Midtown New York City and the entire tri-state area, we will help you manage your glaucoma. Call us today to schedule an appointment.